Trinity seeks a full-time College Counselor beginning August 2013. This person will be directly responsible for all facets of guiding Trinity’s Upper School students in the college search and application process, including developing college guidance programs, coordinating colleges’ visits to Trinity, designing and presenting periodic sessions with 9th and 10th graders, meeting regularly with the 11th and 12th graders, and guiding students in all phases of the research, list development, application, and financial aid/scholarship process. This person also administers the Upper School’s EXPLORE and PSAT tests, chairs the merit scholarship committee, and oversees a stipended AP tests coordinator who administers these each spring.
Competencies, skills, and qualities important to this position include the following:
- A deep working knowledge of college guidance programs and of information about local, regional, and national colleges and universities.
- Superior listening, speaking, writing, and interpersonal skills.
- Comfort with and effectiveness at making public presentations.
- Comfort with and effective use of digital resources, tools, and information management systems, including Naviance.
- Trustworthiness and integrity with all constituencies.
- Excellent skills in organization and follow-through, managing large amounts of information, generating reports, tracking and advancing students through each state of the college search process, and cultivating and maintaining good relationships with colleges and universities and with other school and college counselors.
- A sharp memory for names and details.
- A delight in working with Upper School students and the ability to connect easily with them.
This person is not responsible for certain duties sometimes part of a counselor’s job description, such as registering grades, generating transcripts, or creating students’ class schedules.
For this position, Trinity prefers candidates with an advanced degree and proven experience in college counseling. The College Counselor reports to the Director of Upper School.
When applying for this position, candidates should complete the faculty application form.
College Counselor job description