Trinity School of Durham and Chapel Hill seeks a full-time Director of College Counseling beginning August 2016 to join our passionate, invested community of learners. This is a 10.5-month position (August 1 start date).
Trinity is a highly missional school, and an understanding of and commitment to the school’s mission is essential: to “educate students in transitional kindergarten to grade twelve within the framework of Christian faith and conviction—teaching the classical tools of learning; providing a rich yet unhurried curriculum; and communicating truth, goodness, and beauty.” We delight in our students, who range from academically average to exceptional, and take joy in helping them find a good fit through the college advising process.
Located in Durham, North Carolina, Trinity School is a Christian School that values both a rich Christian faith (faculty embrace “doctrinal commitments” explained on Trinity’s website) and vibrant academic excellence. Durham enjoys the cultural benefits of proximity to a number of colleges and universities, a resurgent downtown, and an entrepreneurial spirit, making it a great place to live.
The Director of College Counseling shares an assistant with the Upper School Director and is directly responsible for all facets of guiding Trinity’s Upper School students (typically 35-45 seniors) in the college search and application process, including coordinating colleges’ visits to Trinity, designing and presenting periodic sessions with 9th and 10th graders, meeting regularly with the 11th and 12th graders, writing college letters, ensuring quality teacher letters, and guiding students in all phases of the research, list development, application, essay writing, and financial aid/scholarship process. This person also coordinates the Upper School’s CWRA+ and PSAT, helps coordinate AP tests, and chairs the merit scholarship committee.
Competencies, skills, and qualities important to this position include the following:
• Deep knowledge of local, regional, and national colleges and universities and a keen interest in continual learning about colleges and keeping current with developments important to the College Counselor's work.
• Superior listening, writing, counseling, and public speaking skills.
• Comfort with and effective use of digital resources, tools, and information management systems, including Naviance.
• Trustworthiness and integrity with all constituencies.
• Excellent skills in organizing, prioritizing, and follow-through; managing large amounts of information; generating reports; tracking and advancing students through each stage of the college search process; and cultivating and maintaining good relationships with colleges and universities and with other school and college counselors.
• A sharp memory for names and details.
• Knowledge of curriculum.
• A mature Christian faith that undergirds one’s care for and guidance of students and parents.
• A delight in working with Upper School students and the ability to connect easily with them, and a sense of humor.
The ideal candidate for this position will have an advanced degree, first hand understanding of independent schools, and five or more years of experience in college admissions at both the high school and college levels. The Director of College Counseling reports to the Director of Upper School. For more information on Trinity and to complete the employment application, go to http://www.trinityschoolnc.org/. Please direct inquiries to Warren Gould, Director of Upper School, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
College Counselor Job Description
To apply for this position, qualified candidates should click on this link here and include a cover letter and resume as attachments.